Please note that style sheet is used in this website, Due to unadaptability of the style sheet with the browser used in your computer, pages may not look as original. Even in such a case, however, the contents can be used safely.

Architecture

In July 1984, The Museum of Modern Art, Kamakura Annex (KAMAKURA ANNEX) was built on the former site of a parking lot operated by Kanagawa Prefecture, to create needed space for a permanent exhibition hall and storage. OTAKA Masato (1923-2010) was in charge of the design. When an excavation was carried out as part of the preliminary survey of the building site, the remains of a structure believed to have been one of the twenty-five living quarters used by the priests of Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, dating from the Muromachi period, was discovered extending from the front entrance to the front courtyard. Because it was imperative to preserve these remains, the building area was reduced considerably from the original plan, to a total floor space of 1,599.8 square meter and gallery floor space of 483 square meter. In 1985, the annex building received the BCS (Building Contractors Society) Prize. In contrast to the light and airy impression of the main Kamakura building, the Annex fs design and materials convey a sense of volume and solidity. Upon completion of the annex, the museum received a donation of valuable works by the nihonga painter Hoshun Yamaguchi and the artist fs personal library.

Construction data

Site area 4,937.94m2
Total floor space 1,599.8m2
Galleries 483m2
Storage 393m2
Book store room 32m2
Structure Steel framed reinforced concrete construction
Number of stories 2 stories above ground
Architect Otaka Kenchiku Sekkei Jimusho Inc.
General Constructor Maeda Kensetsu Kogyo Inc.
Completion July 1984

Top